I've just noticed a cracked brick, and wondered if I could just replace it and do some repointing, or could suggest another problem?

The cracked brick appears to have a crack in the mortar moving diagonally up a 3 or 4 bricks to the right. I've included a photo and the brick I'm talking about is 3 bricks up from the left window sill and then 3 in.

My house was built in 1910, and has had its wall ties replaced in the late 70s.

enter image description here

better quality picture download link

  • Sorry re-pointing not repainting!
    – reggie
    Commented Sep 13, 2016 at 11:21
  • It looks like there are a few areas that have been repaired in the past and some above the cracked brick need some work. It needs attention but I wouldn't think it is an emergency but should be fixed. A new brick would be the best way and while at it clean up and repoint the upper area. 4 bricks up after looking again.
    – Ed Beal
    Commented Sep 13, 2016 at 16:00

1 Answer 1


I'm not a structual engineer but it's probably the foundation settling a little unevenly. If it was me, I wouldn't be concerned by the couple of cracks you have now but I would certainly keep an eye on it for new cracks, cracks growing longer and cracks going wider. I'd probably get a professional opinion if it got worse. Keep an eye out for interior cracks too.

  • My understanding is that diagonal cracks usually are uneven settling. But don't take my word for it.
    – keshlam
    Commented Dec 17, 2016 at 22:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.