I am looking for a simple mechanical device that I can install in the supply line for the fridge-water-filter and that will turn of the water if it ever runs for more than a minute. (Most fridges turn off the water themselves after about a minute, so if the water runs longer, there is a leak.)

I am assuming a device like this would be simple to build, yet I have been unable to find one for purchase. Does something like that exist?

I would prefer a mechanical solution, but an electronic one would work too. However, I don't want the system to rely on some form of humidity detection, as that does not reliably work with a fridge (I just had a fridge completely fill with water before it started leaking.)


The simplest, and most reliable, method (I think :-) ) is to put a drain tray under the frig, with a float switch tied to an electronic valve. If the tray fills, the switch cuts off the inlet valve. BTW - whether or not your frig has an internal timeout, that timeout won't prevent a flood, since (1) the leak could be ahead of the timeout valve and (2) once the down-time counter is done, the frig would start up again anyway.

That said, may I suggest that you're in a "once bitten; twice shy" scenario? Unless you Google your particular model and find many complaints of leak failures, it's highly unlikely this will happen again in your lifetime.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.