I installed a new vanity recently as I am wrapping up a bathroom remodel but when I went to install the p-trap I realized that the p-trap is 1 1/4 inches and the drain pipe at the wall is 2 inches. I looked online for more info and to see what kind of adapters I may need but I couldn't seem to find anything. Are there adapters I can get for such a large diameter change? Are there online resources that I just didn't find? Thanks!

  • A common scenario is the reducer Ed posted, then a short run of pipe, then a threaded end fitting, all cemented in place. Everything upstream of that uses compression fittings.
    – isherwood
    Sep 13, 2016 at 15:02

2 Answers 2


A 2" to 1-1/4" reducer like this should work. This was the first one I found but they are out there. Home stores should stock them also.


If you can't find it, you could put a 2x1 1/2 bushing on there and a small piece of 1 1/2 to your adapter.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.