I decided to replace the hinges on my doors recently. Unfortunately, I drilled the holes in the door a bit too far from the edge and when I try to open the door it hits the frame.

It seems to me I need a slightly longer "neck" on the hinge to open. Is there such a product? Also, where would you recommend purchasing it?



Fill in the holes with broken-off toothpicks and wood glue, then drill new holes a little farther away and re-install the hinges.


Providing a reference or image to your hinge would be helpful. However, typically they are adjustable by loosening the screw that holds the two parts together and sliding it apart slightly, then re-tightening the screw.

(source: handymanknowhow.co.uk)

It sounds like in you case you'd want to loosen screw C and then pull A away from the plate secured with screw B.

  • In my case I've already adjusted it to the maximum. It was creating a large gap between the frame and the door and it still wasn't far enough. I ended up drilling new holes instead right below using a jig I made. Worked out pretty well.
    – Leon
    Sep 13 '16 at 19:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.