I have recently gotten hold of a lamp that seems to require some weird bulbs. I can't seem to figure out what type of bulb goes in there... It looks like it could be in the G9 family, but there is no sleeve to insert the bulb in.

Here is a picture of the socket : the weird socket another angle

Edit: close up enter image description here

Edit 2: size reference enter image description here

I have tried unscrewing the screws, but the cap it attached to the wires.

Does anyone have a clue what bulbs I need?

Thanks a lot!

  • Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. A close-up of the socket would help; if you aren't allowed to post the image, post the URL and someone will be along to edit the image in. Sep 10, 2016 at 20:20
  • I have added a close up, but it not as clear as I'd hoped. I'll try to take a better one. Sep 12, 2016 at 1:42
  • Thanks for the picture. What do you mean by "but the cap it attached to the wires"? Sep 12, 2016 at 3:03
  • If I remove the screws, I still cannot remove the bit at the end. At first I thought it was some sort of cap covering the actual socket, but is is the socket. The two slits are where the bulb's prongs should go (I think). Sep 12, 2016 at 12:23
  • But was it that yellow behind the "left prong" Sep 13, 2016 at 5:53

1 Answer 1


I do not think this is a light bulb connection as is and shown in the picture. Without the cap removed and having the ability to see what's behind it, I do not think it may be answered. Look at the photo below for the different light bulb connections.

enter image description here

NOTE: Whoever gave the thumbs down did me wrong. When I posted my answer the first 2 picks were all that was posted and and the text was rewritten after showing those are screws in the fixture. I simply did not remove my answer because I was not sure if we are supposed to.

This type of light bulb (connectors) is referred to as Double Contact Bayonet light bulbs.

My bedroom ceiling lights all use them and they can be found at most hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and even Walmart.

Removing the light bulb: Push in and turn counterclockwise. When it stops turning it can be pulled out. About a 1/16 of a turn. (opposite for replacing the bulb.)

enter image description here

  • 1
    Thanks for your answer, but what seemed like holes in the picture are actually screws. Sep 12, 2016 at 1:38
  • is that that wire sitting behind the cap Sep 12, 2016 at 3:31
  • Sorry, I don't understand your question Sep 13, 2016 at 2:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.