Looks like the rivet/flange thing popped out of the square piece. I don't know how I would get the rivet back in there with the ridge/flange whatever you call it on the end, which I assume is what holds it in there. It also looks like I would have to be in the attic with the ladder pulled to have any hope of connecting that J-shaped bolt back to the spring.

Here are some pics

The last pic is the way it should look.

  • The pictures are gone. Please add to the question directly next time. Commented Sep 30, 2023 at 20:22

2 Answers 2


I'd say "yes". Start by removing the quadratic piece of metal with some sort of lever, then place a screw from the "inside" through the hole and check if there is room for a nut to hold the loose part in place.


I'd be hesitant to recommend a repair. That point supports weight, and if it fails someone could get hurt. If you're inclined to try a repair anyway use at least grade 8 bolts and some form of lock-nut or doubled nut so that it doesn't loosen in use. And you might as well do the other side too- it's seen exactly the same amount of wear and tear so it's probably going to fail soon otherwise.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.