I have some fluorescent fixtures in my basement that I would like to convert to LED, using bulbs that require a ballast bypass. However, these fixtures don't have a centrally mounted "black box" ballast like I've seen on how-to guides.

The fixture is a Cooper Lighting Model 9000. Can I bypass the ballast on this fixture? How?

Fixture label Whole fixture End of fixture

(The other end of the fixture looks basically the same, except there's no green ground wire.)


That style has electronic ballasts (as opposed to magnetic) integrated into the fixture ends and will not be easily converted (if it can be converted at all).

They are very inexpensive low-end type fixtures and are meant to be thrown away rather than repaired when something goes wrong. IMO that fixture is not worth converting, just get a whole new modern LED fixture.

  • Thanks. I already bought the bulbs, but I can use them in other fixtures in the garage that have a separate ballast. I'll look into replacing these fixtures with purpose-built LED lights. – coneslayer Sep 5 '16 at 0:07
  • 1
    It may be cheaper to buy an inexpensive fluorescent fixture and remove the ballast to use with your LED bulbs. I recently had to do this with one unsalvageable fixture in my garage. I bought a $20 fixture to use with LED bulbs I already had, instead of buying a $60 LED fixture. – Jim Garrison Sep 5 '16 at 2:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.