I have a door which can only be controlled by a hinge mounted stopper. So far I've only used this kind: hinge door stopper but it is not sturdy enough and it breaks every so often.

I'd like to know what other options I have of more solid hinge stoppers.
I thought of the possibility of using more than one, but I would like a better one.
Also, has anyone used this other type? If so, what do you think of it? enter image description here

  • Do you have pictures of the door and surrounding area? Depending on the layout, I may know of an option. Commented Aug 22, 2016 at 18:20
  • @BrownRedHawk No I don't and I'm not going to be able to take a picture any time soon.
    – slybloty
    Commented Aug 22, 2016 at 18:22
  • 1
    WHat if you mount three of those, one on each hinge? Commented Aug 23, 2016 at 13:31

1 Answer 1


Better answer is to use a door stop that stops the door rather than the hinge. Anything that mounts at the hinge will eventually pull the hinge screws out or bend the hinge leaves or both.

  • As I mentions in my question, that's not an option. I would've done that if it would've been possible.
    – slybloty
    Commented Aug 22, 2016 at 17:35
  • 5
    Impossible and "I haven't thought of a way to do that" are pretty indistinguishable until you think of a way to do that. There are many ways to stop a door - any that are on the hinge side are subject to HUGE mechanical forces due to leverage. Simplest option may be an arm-type door closer, which mounts to the top of the door, and also acts as a stop. A simple sliding bar in the same position would act as a stop only, but closers are easier to find off the shelf.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Aug 22, 2016 at 19:05
  • "eventually" is on the order of decades unless you've got a household full of irate door-slammers. Commented Aug 23, 2016 at 13:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.