This question already has an answer here:

I tried to ask this question before, but I don't think I was clear. I replaced my recessed lighting with recessed dimmable LED fixtures. The bulbs are contained in the fixture, and I don't believe they can be changed. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. They are from Commercial Electric, Model T61. They are 6" recessed LED swivel fixtures and I really don't think there's any way to change the bulbs inside. If I'm wrong and you know a way to change them, I'd so appreciate it. They are labeled "soft white", but they are bright and harsh. They are dimmable, but even at the lowest setting they are pretty bright. So are there photo gels or some other way to "warm up" the lighting to more closely match my old halogens which were just beautiful.

marked as duplicate by Tester101 Aug 18 '16 at 15:13

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    You may be able to add a polarizing film that will both reduce the light and dampen the "harshness". This can work with led because they don't generate the heat that halogens do. Just an idea to try. – Ed Beal Aug 18 '16 at 2:52
  • 3
    You return the whole fixture, and get different fixtures, in that case. – Ecnerwal Aug 18 '16 at 3:43
  • 1
    @EdBeal rather than a polarizing filter, why not use a warm-up filter (many examples, here's one: leefilters.com/lighting/colour-details.html#205&filter=cf for photographic lighting). To the OP -- yes there are warm-up gels. – Chris H Aug 18 '16 at 14:47
  • Chris those would also work + – Ed Beal Aug 18 '16 at 18:29

If you look at, e.g., this Amazon page and scroll down to "similar units," you'll see a variety of similar fixtures which are color-temperature rated. (The lower the temperature, the redder the output color balance). I rather doubt you can easily swap out the LED in the fixture you bought, and it's certainly not worth the money you (probably won't) save.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.