I've been finding this material all around my house for the last six months. To give you some perspective, the sample below is about 2 inches by 1 inch. The sizes of the pieces I find vary considerably in size from less than 1 inch to almost a square foot. The larger pieces tend to be flat like a layer. Other houses in the neighborhood don't seem to have this so it seems to come from our house.

I live in a house that has been converted into two condos and the other unit had construction done last year. Most was internal, but they did have a sky light put in. I wonder if the construction left a hole somewhere that allows an animal to get in a retrieve this material.

Any idea what it is? It feels synthetic. Figuring out what it is should hopefully help us find the problem and fix it!

enter image description here

closed as off-topic by isherwood, Tester101 Nov 9 '16 at 12:56

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Not enough information was provided to answer this question accurately. Please include the make and model of all devices and equipment, photos, diagrams, drawings, and any other information that might help people provide an accurate answer." – Tester101
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Is it carpet fiber? When I vaccuum my carpet, my bagless vac pulls up some of the fiber and the resulting bits look a lot like your photo. – chue x Sep 6 '16 at 18:41
  • @chuex, nope, there are some bigger pieces that are definitely not carpet fiber. – gaefan Sep 6 '16 at 22:56
  • Voting to close. We're being asked to guess what some white stuff is through the internet with very little information. – isherwood Nov 8 '16 at 18:47

I'd guess that you have a rodent problem, and I'd guess that you're finding bits of your furniture padding/batting that were in the way of a cozy nest. How else could something like this just appear "around the house"?


Looks like insulation, fiberglass or polyester perhaps. Usually used on top of ceilings or in stud wall cavities.

Does though also look a bit like hobby stuffing or cushion filling.

Could be a few things.

  • It isn't fiberglass, but does feel like polyester. It does look and feel like cushion filling but I'm pretty sure there are no cushions lying around... – gaefan Aug 7 '16 at 17:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.