I'm trying to put my RV into the breaker box I've got a 30 amp breaker double pole I've got10/2 wire, do I use a single pole or double pole 30 amp breaker hand my RV plug is a 4 prong plug how do I make this work

  • Are you saying your RV has a NEMA 14-30? (think "plugs into the dryer outlet in a brand new house") – ThreePhaseEel Aug 6 '16 at 19:31
  • The typical 30A plug on an RV is a special TT-30 (TT=Travel Trailer). Since he said it has a 4 pronged plug, I bet his RV takes 50A service and plugs into a 14-50R. – Johnny Aug 6 '16 at 22:11
  • Is this a modestly sized RV or is it one of those huge greyhound bus sized things with the pop-outs that tows an SUV and costs well into 6 digits? – Harper - Reinstate Monica Aug 6 '16 at 22:12

RV's typically take 120VAC with an oddball 30 amp receptacle: this.

enter image description here Note the center hole is not a terminal.

It will work fine with your 10/2 wire, but your breaker is 2-pole unnecessarily - a single-pole breaker would do. (Though, a single pole 30A breaker is kind of an orphan, hardly used for anything - the 2-pole breaker is commonly used for several purposes.)

Neutral goes to your neutral bus, ground goes to your ground bus. Hot goes to one side of the 2-pole breaker, the other side is unused.

If you wanted to use a NEMA 14-30 connection, you bought the right breaker but the wrong wire. But it would surprise me if you wanted that since 240V/30A is not common with RVs, usually it's 50A if it's 240V.

| improve this answer | |
  • Since he said his RV has a 4 pronged plug, I suspect that it has a 50A cord, which would typically plug into a 4 prong 14-50R. – Johnny Aug 6 '16 at 22:07
  • 1
    Then he has the wrong everything. Which would surprise me. People usually don't go off the rails that bad. Also, call it stereotyping but I assume anyone who can afford one of the monster RVs just picks up the phone and has someone do his electric. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Aug 6 '16 at 22:08
  • Wouldn't be that surprising, 30A service is very common among RV's (many parks only provide 30A service), and once the 50A label fades off the side of the RV, it's not always obvious whether the RV is configured for 30A or 50A service. He's probably got a TT-30 to 14-50R adapter cable that he uses when he can't find 50A service. – Johnny Aug 6 '16 at 22:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.