There is a crack in a wall that I would like to fill with some removable insulation.

It must be removable, as such it should just be a temporary solution.

I know of rockwool and glasswool, but don't know which is best, or if there exist other types.

Which should I get and stump the crack with?

  • 8
    What sort of wall (material, interior/exterior)? Why are you trying to stuff it with insulation instead of repairing the crack? How big is the crack? Are you trying to insulate for heat, sound or visual? A picture of the crack may help
    – gregmac
    Oct 22 '11 at 19:07
  • Additionally, what caused the crack? How long is "temporary"?
    – Hemm
    Oct 24 '11 at 0:01
  • there really isn't a best insulation for crack repair.
    – DA01
    Oct 24 '11 at 1:25
  • 2
    Blown-in insulation is technically removable if you have a shopvac! :)
    – Doresoom
    Nov 2 '11 at 19:44

You can use Backer Rod to fill in the crack if it is not too wide. Backer rod is an easy to compress rope-like celled foam and should be easy to remove at a later date. It is mainly used to fill deep cracks before caulking to give support to the caulk.

Backer rod comes in a variety of diameters and should be able to be found at your local building supply store.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.