What are the types of tools that I would need to have access to in order to build something like a table from wood?
It depends in no small part on how you wish to construct the table. For instance, if you wish to do a simple screw or nail construction, it's a different set of end tools than if you wanted to do dove-tail joints, or biscuit joints, or mortice and tenant joints...
The basics (screw construction)
- Measuring tape
- A straight edge (usually part of a related tool)
- A saw
- A drill (for pre drilling screw holes)
- A screwdriver or driver bit for your drill - for installing the screws
- Several grits of sand paper from coarse (60 grit) to ultra fine (220 grit)
- A sanding block (flat surface used to keep your sand paper flat)