I would like to remove the wheel that is being held in by this contraption:

I tried to use a standard socket wrench, but couldn't get just the right size: 1/2" or 13mm seems too small; 5/8" or 14mm seems too big.
Also, I'm not sure if there's a trick involving the black part. What's that called? Is there a special technique? The other end of the rod looks the same.

1 Answer 1


The hex is irrelevant, don't turn it. The black part is the heart of the matter. This is an E-clip.

Pop it off with a small screwdriver but control it with your finger - it WILL go flying!

  • Thanks for your answer. The e-clips come off, but it doesn't seem any closer to removing the white part. Is there another step after that?
    – WBT
    Jul 30, 2016 at 22:30
  • There may be a set-screw, the part may be stuck there out of habit, or (less likely) it may be pressed on. Jul 30, 2016 at 22:32
  • aka: retaining ring, for which they make spreader pliers. But e-clips you can do with a needle nose.
    – Mazura
    Jul 31, 2016 at 10:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.