The main door to my apartment has a Baldwin interlocked mortise deadbolt/lockset combination... basically one of these:

enter image description here

I would like to replace this with some kind of electronic, keyless system, but all the ones that look any good are designed for cylindrical-drilled deadbolts.

Any suggestions?

(I am aware that one option would be filling in the mortise cavity and starting from scratch, but that's rather a bigger project than I had been hoping for)

  • This could be an expensive endeavor. Replacing some doors may even be cheaper. BTW Never heard how your liquor cabinet disaster worked out from last December.
    – Michael Karas
    Commented Jul 26, 2016 at 2:30
  • oh yeah :) I accepted your answer over on that question :) Commented Jul 26, 2016 at 18:52

1 Answer 1


There are certainly mortise-form-factor smart locks; I installed one of them last year. They tend to be commercial-grade rather than home-grade; more durable and able to handle more complex programming but also more expensive.

At one point several manufacturers were offering smart mortise cylinders, which did a digital handshake with a powered key to make the key extremely difficult to duplicate. Thay would install into your current latch mechanism. But I presume that isn't what you:re looking for.

If you were a paying customer I'd ask you to be more specific about what you need and then do a search thru the manufacturers. A full-time locksmith would be more aware if current product lines and would find the answer faster.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.