I'm changing the handles on my drawers, and I can't get the screws out. I think the screws might be a Phillips raised countersunk but I'm not sure. All I know is that it is a Phillips head screw. What screwdriver should i use, and what size?

  • 3
    Use a medium sized phillips head screw driver. If it doesn't fit, get a smaller or bigger one. – Ben Welborn Jul 20 '16 at 19:18
  • A size 2 is the most common size but the cabinet hardware usually uses a size 1. – Ed Beal Jul 20 '16 at 19:22

The head shape of the screw rarely has any impact on the type of driver needed. You probably want a standard #2 Phillips.

Very few screws are #1 outside of very small electronics applications. Even tiny screws are often #2. Always try the larger size first. If I had a nickel for every #2 screw I've seen mangled by a #1 driver....

Most reversible (hardware store impulse buy) screwdrivers provide a #1 and a #2. Even if they look rather fat, the very tip is what matters. There are many configurations of a #2, but the tips are all the same.

The larger size with the obviously flat end is a #3, and they're more common in such applications as TV wall mounts.


Ikea uses Pozidriv screws for everything. It looks like a Philips head but it's what they use in Europe.


Use a flat screwdriver if the screw has 'flats' on it. You can get more torque and it will cam out less. (don't stab yourself)

Pushing hard enough, so that whatever screwdriver you use doesn't cam out, is half the battle.


looks like a Phillips head but it is not, actually it is a slotted screw with cross slots with no hole for the pointed driver tip, so use slotted driver.

  • 1
    Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. How do you know this? And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to contribute here. – Daniel Griscom Oct 27 at 13:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.