Replacing kitchen light, house wiring to box: 2 white twisted together (neutral), 1 red (hot when switch is on), no ground. Fixture: 1 D shaped ridged wire, 1 smooth (round) wire, 1 ground wire. My guess on connections, D shaped fixture wire to white house wires, smooth (round) fixture wire to red house wire, fixture ground wire to metal fixture box? Is this right?

  • Wiring isn't usually referenced by shape. Please edit to post colors or a photo. – isherwood Jun 27 '16 at 15:19
  • New Fixture wires are both brown, 1 D shaped ridged, 1 round and smooth, instructions with fixture state ridged to white house wire, smooth to black house wire. – Lee Jun 27 '16 at 15:26
  • Edit to post colors, please. – isherwood Jun 27 '16 at 15:34
  • 1
    ... and please edit to post pictures as well. If you don't have enough rep to post pictures, post URLs of the pictures and someone will be along to edit them in. – Daniel Griscom Jun 27 '16 at 15:35
  • 1
    If the fixture is for a standard screw-in (Edison) bulb, use an ohm meter/continuity tester between the socket shell (part with threads) and the wires. The wire connected to the shell is the neutral. – DoxyLover Jun 27 '16 at 18:32

When a light fixture has two wires of the same color it usually means that polarity isn't important. However, the ridges/ribs may indicate a neutral. Go with your plan.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.