My sister has lived in her house about 3 years, inspection was fine and no issues since. Hot water tank started leaking, the installer for the new one says that the inducer with double wall b venting is incorrectly placed, because the HWT and furnace vents tie together, then the inducer is next in line. He says he can't fix it, is only a plumber not HVAC, but the inducer should be before the furnace and HWT vents come together. CO detector across the room has never gone off. Opinions appreciated.

Inducer is on the right side of photo

Inducer on left edge of photo

  • There should be a wire that runs from the burner controller on the water heater to the control box for the draft inducer. Is there? – longneck Jun 21 '16 at 20:36

Regarding the picture below, if the air flow and identities of everything in the picture is correct, then it looks fine.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • I'm only going by what my sister told me but yes, your labeling is correct (that's the inducer, whatever type it is) That inducer lists a company and says "Draft Inducer, Model D-3" on it. – user20127 Jun 21 '16 at 13:23
  • @user20127 Yeah, the installation is perfectly good. And, if it was installed between the HWT and the fork, then it would be a problem because it could force air back toward the furnace. – Ben Welborn Jun 21 '16 at 13:46
  • Looks like it is on the output side to me + Ben – Ed Beal Jun 21 '16 at 19:02
  • OP here: I believe this is the inducer my sister has: amazon.com/Tjernlund-D-3-Inducer-Vertical-Systems/dp/B000LDPUNI – user20127 Jun 21 '16 at 19:57
  • @user20127 yes, that's a very common style of draft inducer. – Ben Welborn Jun 21 '16 at 19:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.