We are upgrading the electric panel. The current one is attached to the outside of the house. The new one will be in the same place but will be a bigger panel and supports 200 Amps. Do I need to protect the panel in any way from the elements? Is the metal panel enclosure adequate enough?

Will it benefit from additional protection?


You will need an outdoor-rated panel enclosure for this task (NEMA 3R is typical vs. the NEMA 1 rating on an indoor panel). Most major manufacturers (I know Square-D and Eaton do this) provide panelboards in NEMA 3R enclosures as standard catalog items in their light-duty panelboard lines.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.