I need to run a CAT5 line and a 22/4 alarm wire from my 2 story attic to the first floor. I have access to the interior of the walls (I will re-dryboard). I'd like to run carlon ENT from the attic all the way down so I can run new wire if needed. What is the connection I need to travel between floors to keep it up to fire code?

  • I'm not clear on what you're asking. Are you looking for how to run a connection through a bottom plate? What fire code applies and how to meet it?
    – gregmac
    Sep 27 '11 at 13:54
  • That's right (didn't know the wording for bottom-plate)
    – BozoJoe
    Sep 27 '11 at 15:27

This depends on your locality, and you didn't mention where you are. In my locality, I think the only necessary plug between floors is to use some fire-stop expanding foam insulation on the outside of the ENT. (For those not in the know, ENT = Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing, aka interior flex conduit.)

Your local city/county building inspector / permit office will know more, and you should contact them.

  • region=California. So is there some specific Carlon couplings I should be using, like a vertical stub?
    – BozoJoe
    Sep 27 '11 at 17:35
  • Yeah, but it's going to depend on what provisions of the NFPA Code, IEC, and IRC your city and/or county has adopted. There isn't a special fitting. You just want to seal any excess opening to keep air from moving between floors easily. In a fire, the the Carlon tubing would perform similarly to PEX, and I know for a fact in my area that the provision for PEX penetrations is that you should use fire stop spray foam. Sep 27 '11 at 17:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.