I have 5 light sockets in the kitchen. Two of them are A19 style sockets and three of them are the following sockets: kitchen light socket

They fit a CFL type bulb in them. I would like to replace it with an A19 socket style. Can this be easily adapted or does it need to be rewired?


Those have ballasts in them, so it's not a simple re-wire, per se. Nor do I think any adapter would be available, because of that.

You'd have to swap the guts out (the inner can) with one from a new can, and hopefully it will fit (they're not fun to get back into the can they came out of in the first place, so expect some difficulty).

I don't think you can buy 'can innards'; you'll be buying a whole new can light and just using parts of it.

Another consideration is determining if they're IC can lights (Insulation Contact) and if so, finding the correct replacement 'innards'. But I don't think that's a concern; the 'IC' part of it, is the shell that will remain. I'd just make sure that any replacement had an over-temp cutoff switch.


It sure looks like you could use a common porcelain A19 keyless replacement socket with bracket, like this:

Leviton Item#8885

You may find this at a good local hardware store or lighting shop, or order it on the web. You will need to bypass the ballast as mentioned by @Mazura. Alterations of manufactured fixtures void the safety ratings and such (I personally would not be uncomfortable with it if you have good clean wire connections and limit bulb wattage).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.