My old wooden windows rattle in their casings (the frame rattles in its tracks--the glass is secure). One suggestion was to use vinyl flooring as shims--that material would be too thick, but I'm wondering if there's something similar that would work. Any suggestions for a durable thin material I can find at a big box construction store? Or another solution altogether?

  • Browse the weather-stripping collection.some combination of foam, felt, tubing, and hdpe V-strips should do the job. If all else fails, putty them in place. – keshlam May 24 '16 at 17:01
  • The wooden frames rattle? Or the glass panes rattle in the frame? – The Evil Greebo May 24 '16 at 17:09
  • I think I'd be going with a very small, precisely-applied bead of clear pure silicone caulk. – isherwood May 24 '16 at 17:12
  • If it's the glass, then the window panes are held in place with glazing and the glazing can be replaced to make it snug. But if it's the wood frames, caulk would seal the window shut and be a horrible idea... – The Evil Greebo May 24 '16 at 17:22
  • 1
    Very thin plastic can be had for the cost of cutting up a couple of lids from plastic deli containers. Or if you have to go buy stuff, google 'UHMW tape'. Or move the stops in to secure the window properly (though of course that'll involve paint/patch work). – Aloysius Defenestrate May 25 '16 at 14:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.