Electric question, Is it code in Az to run an electric line in cpvc out of breaker panel into the ground and to destination


You have to use conduit listed and labeled for electrical use. So if you're thinking about using plumbing pipe, forget about it.

Since the conduit will be underground, it's considered a wet location. That means you'll have to use wires that are allowed in wet locations. THWN is commonly used for this, though is likely advertised as THHN/THWN or THWN-2, or something similar.

Wherever you enter/exit the ground, you'll want to use an expansion fitting. This allows the conduit to expand and contract, as well as allowing the ground to heave and depress as soil conditions change.

  • 2
    Can you imagine trying to pull cable around a corner in plumbing pipe? That's a great example of what "listed" means, the plumbing pipe isn't designed to not have burrs that would snag or tear the cable. – Harper - Reinstate Monica May 18 '16 at 17:34
  • CPVC would be a night mare and tear the insulation + tester. Depending on the length a expansion fitting may not be needed. – Ed Beal May 18 '16 at 17:37
  • 1
    I've seen installs where people skipped the expansion fitting neatly broken at the nearest joint. When the ground containing the conduit moves with frost, there is immense force applied. I'm not too happy with how much expansion fittings cost (nor with how paltry the selection is at home cheapo) but I use them somewhat religiously, and don't have broken conduits. In most cases you also need to use schedule 80 for PVC conduit, since conduit from the box into the ground is considered "exposed to damage" - and home cheapo doesn't have much, if any, of that, either. – Ecnerwal May 18 '16 at 19:25
  • 1
    @Ecnerwal commonly held myth, that the big box stores are cheap. What they are is "open til 9", and they exploit that in their pricing. Electricians who do a ton of work and deal in volume, drive right past 3 big box stores on their way to a proper electrical supply house. But don't be the guy who only goes to the electrical supply for the one part big-box doesn't have, get to know them and make them a regular source. – Harper - Reinstate Monica May 18 '16 at 21:28
  • Since the latest topic is price I was thinking and checked home desperate. cpvc at 3.91$ stick. 1/2" schedule 40 conduit 1.71$ they Did not show/ not carry schedule 80 in 1/2- 3/4- or 1" that I could see. Platt carry's 1/2" schedule 80 for 3.11$ per stick, so CPVC would be way more expensive. The OP is from a warmer climate and may need an expansion. I not had a pullout or broken pipe – Ed Beal May 18 '16 at 22:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.