I have been thinking about making something like this for a while to help me prime the pool pump at the beginning of the season. Today I found a picture of exactly what I am thinking about. enter image description here

Can you help me identify what parts are used in this picture or what parts I can use to make something similar?

What is the best way to seal the metal pipe to the plastic cover to avoid any leaks?

  • Do you need the hose fitting for your pump (fill the pump with water), Or are you letting the air out? My pump I have to let the air out it is below the water line. – Ed Beal May 9 '16 at 20:46
  • I need to fill it with water, not let the air out. – ben May 10 '16 at 2:44
  • Don't forget the air does have to come out somewhere, you can't put water in without the air having a place to escape. – Tyson May 10 '16 at 13:41

I would use a brass bulkhead fitting with Orings. like this photo shows. Add your threaded shutoff valve and hose adapter and you will be good to go. Be careful when cutting the hole if using a standard drill bit they grab and want to break the plastic. A hole saw would be a better way to reduce the chance of breaking. For a 1/2" pipe a 7/8" hole saw for 3/4"pipe 1-1/8" hole saw are the standard sizes.

  • I ended up buying this. I also bought a 1-1/4 inch hole saw from home depot to make a clean hole (not 1-1/8, because the product page said 1-1/4, which worked perfectly). Here is a picture of my finished product. – ben May 19 '16 at 0:58
  • It looks as nice as the photo you had good job! – Ed Beal May 19 '16 at 12:57

Making a connection between dissimilar materials (hard/brass and soft/plastic) is difficult. For the best result, it is helpful to transition with one or more materials with in-between stiffness, and/or attach the valve to a wide plate and use a rubber gasket to prevent leaks/failure.

I believe that a good place to start would be to look for water heater pressure relief valve parts. Maybe it would be cheaper to get an old one from a scrap yard that you can cut apart. Or, try looking for some rain barrel parts or study the rainbarrel construction methods. As for the glue, once again, in-between stiffness is the best. Epoxy, silicone, calk, and silicone-caulk blends might all be useful.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.