I tried to unclog my kitchen sink using a plunger, but it's not work, probably because the dishwasher is draining to the same pipe; see the Y-connector in the photo below.

enter image description here

I want to cap off the connection where the black hose is connecting to, but I don't know the size.

By the way, the nuts at the P-trap were tightened when I was using the plunger. I also using a 1/4" 25-foot-long plumbing snake to try to clear the clog but had no luck.

  • 3
    If your 25' snake didn't clear it, a plunger isn't going to either. A plunger can get flow going when the problem is in the trap, if it's much further down the line you won't be able to get the needed compression with a plunger. – Tyson May 9 '16 at 15:29
  • I was hoping plunging will work up to 25 feet and beyond once I cap the dishwasher connection, because water is practically an incompressible fluid =) – wsw May 9 '16 at 15:31
  • 1
    Get one of these: amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CBIWC/… and attach it to the garden hose. It expands. Take the pipe apart and insert after the trap. Have a helper turn the water on so you can hold the drain king in the pipe until it expands. Warning tho: if you have crappy corroded pipe or weak joints you may blow a hole open. – Tyson May 9 '16 at 15:45
  • 5
    The plunger only works on the trap arm. Once the drain runs into a vent, the plunger is no good. – Tester101 May 9 '16 at 16:00
  • @Tyson Won't that device have the problem Tester101 cites? The vent will prevent using pressure to blow the clog out. – bib May 9 '16 at 16:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.