Okay. So I wanna wire my garage. My old home has an old unused 3 prong 240v plug just chilling. My home is limited to 100amps. Old old home. So, the garage, 60ft away has no power. No power=no man zone. I would like to run a couple different options. Sub-panel or just an extension with a gfi outlet. I'm thinking about splitting the plug via a Junction box (new) prior to the old 3 prong plug *and remove said plug. My understanding of it is that it's running 2 hot and a neutral. Can I split the hots (2) to create more plugs and lights. Really just want 3 exterior led lights for motion detection and lights outside. Inside I would like modernized with a plug that can go 120/240 with 20 amps (so I can run my arc welder that requires a min of 20 amps on high or 15 amps on low- it needs a dedicated circuit so as not to be interfered when welding if I have a radio on and light. Help! Man in distress lacking a cave! Or what are some better options?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Speedy Petey, Tester101 May 9 '16 at 12:13

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 7
    Please hire an electrician before you burn your house down. – user4302 May 6 '16 at 19:52
  • @user54042 Please contact the support team to merge your accounts so you have access to edit, comment, and accept answers on your own question. – BMitch May 17 '16 at 11:42

Yes, you can use existing wiring to feed a sub-panel. (you cannot put a plug on a sub-panel as far as I know.) If the wiring is not quite long enough to reach your sub-panel location, put a junction box there and splice to an additional cable.

Your sub-panel absolutely requires a ground wire to the main panel. Grounds can only be bare wire, green or green/yellow. If the inspector sees any insulation other than that color, it cannot be a ground wire.

If your wire also has neutral, then you can make your sub-panel a 120/240V sub-panel. Here's the trick: In the sub-panel, neutral must be isolated from ground. Most panels give you a way to do that, by removing bonding straps or removing green screws.

If your wire does not have neutral, your sub-panel will be 240V only. Use 2-pole breakers and NEMA 6 receptacles. If you power anything hard-wired, make sure it is 240V friendly - most new fluorescent ballasts are multi-voltage, as are many other products.

If you need to run 120V-only appliances out of a 240V-only panel, they sell step-down transformers for sane prices.


Jay welcome to stack exchange. You can create a sub panel from your house to the garage it will take a minimum of 3 wires and possibly 4 depending on where you live. 2 hot 1 ground, 1 neutral. The ground and neutral need to be isolated in a sub panel. The big question is the size wires. Wire size depends on the breaker you will be feeding it with and the type of load. a continuous load requires 125% where non continuous loads only require 100%. The size of the load 30A to provide an example. With a 30A load you need to make sure your voltage drop is less than 3% I use this handy voltage drop calculator. i put in 240v 30 amps 3% copper and it returned #10 (#10 is the minimum size for a 30 amp breaker) here in the U.S. standard breakers close to the size you need are 25,30,35. if you go to 35A you will need larger wire. I hope this helps.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.