I'm fixing a lamp and I need a coupling nut to connect the post that contains the electrical wires to a rod that holds the shade. This looks like a normal coupling nut, but with half of the middle cut out to let the electrical wires come through.

What is the name of such a nut?

  • You mean like this ? – JPhi1618 May 2 '16 at 18:18
  • Yes. There's a bit more to the nut, but that's about right. – fgregg May 2 '16 at 18:20
  • @Mazura, I'll remove this pic now that I got an answer to avoid confusion. – fgregg May 3 '16 at 19:55

I have no idea why, but an open coupling for a lamp is called a hickey... As in 1/4" IPS Brass Hickey:

enter image description here

I've also seen this sold on some sites as an "open cast coupling" or "open cast hickey".

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.