I'm fixing a lamp and I need a coupling nut to connect the post that contains the electrical wires to a rod that holds the shade. This looks like a normal coupling nut, but with half of the middle cut out to let the electrical wires come through.

What is the name of such a nut?

  • You mean like this ?
    – JPhi1618
    May 2, 2016 at 18:18
  • Yes. There's a bit more to the nut, but that's about right.
    – fgregg
    May 2, 2016 at 18:20
  • @Mazura, I'll remove this pic now that I got an answer to avoid confusion.
    – fgregg
    May 3, 2016 at 19:55

1 Answer 1


I have no idea why, but an open coupling for a lamp is called a hickey... As in 1/4" IPS Brass Hickey:

enter image description here

I've also seen this sold on some sites as an "open cast coupling" or "open cast hickey".

  • Yes that is a hickey, old term, a conduit hand bender is another device called to a hickey, don’t know where it originated from but on lower level electrical knowledge tests it is a question asked in Oregon.
    – Ed Beal
    Jul 13, 2020 at 16:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.