I'm replacing the lumber of my deck, and need to plan the join between the wooden steps and the sliding door frame. The existing seal seems to be working perfectly, so I'd like to replace with the same thing.

This image is a photo of the existing seal: https://i.sstatic.net/3wAtS.jpg

Does anyone know what this sealant is and/or have product or brand recommendations?
- The wood will be stained, pressure treated deck board (probably Canadian Pine)
- The door frame is powder-coated aluminium
- Temp range from -30 to +30ºC (-22ºF to 90ºF)
- The gap is approximately 3/4 of an inch


1 Answer 1


its butyl sealant. it still works fine, but nowadays you can use a polyurethane sealant for superior results.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.