Is GA shorthand for AWG (American Wire Gauge)? Someone seemed to use the terms interchangeably in this question and then never let me know if they were interchangeable terms.


GA is short for gauge.

The approved gauge for electrical conductors in the US is American Wire Gauge.

There are other methods to gauge wire.

| improve this answer | |
  • So if they mentioned AWG elsewhere and then referred to GA they probably mean the AWG wire gauge? – leeand00 Apr 19 '16 at 19:25
  • 1
    Yes, 'ga' is an accepted abreviation for the word gauge. And when talking about electrical conductors most people mean AWG. When you get larger than 4/0 wire though it switches to Circular Mils. – ArchonOSX Apr 19 '16 at 19:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.