After I hang the drywall there is some gaps between the fixture and the drywall board (yes, I'm using greenboard that will be tanked/redgard/kerdi/etc, no backerboard in Brazil), what is the best way to caulk those areas?

I thought about using either PU foam or some flexible mastic (main component is polyisobutylene) that remains flexible (and I'm not sure it fully adheres to drywall). Silicone might also be a choice but some of the voids are to large to use it (about 10 mm).

1 Answer 1


You probably want to start with tanking tape, and use caulk for the final seal.


  • I'm familiar with that video, from what I understood the gap was already sealed with some "Plumbers Gold" (seems to be some kind of PU sealer). Apr 14, 2016 at 18:39
  • Yes, if you want to fill the gap to better support the tape, do so. Ultimately the water barrier is the tape and however you seal the tape to the fixture, though.
    – isherwood
    Apr 14, 2016 at 19:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.