Below are two images of what im talking about. Around the duct boot for the wall register is a metal box to make up for the difference between the wall and where the trim ends. What is it called and where can i find it?

Thank you for your time.

enter image description here enter image description here


I don't think they're made anymore, but I heard them called Register Mounts, Extensions & Collars. I looked for replacements a few times & ended up with nothing to end up wire brushing them back to bare & spray painting them, good as new.

If no-one else here answers or has an avenue to get any. You can make your own quite easily & of much better quality...in the size that you need, which might be the real problem. I'd suggest Aluminum Angle for it's workability & corrosion resistance, but you can go with steel or C-channel or J-channel.

You'd probably need about a 4' length for each one & can either attach the last corner with a tab on the inside (not on the outside like the picture) or use a corner brace with countersunk (if desired or needed) screw, bolt or pop-rivet face holes.

Alum angle

  • Ended up cleaning it off and reusing it. Thank you for your advice. Mar 25 '16 at 19:12
  • Great Job! It should be good for many more decades.
    – Iggy
    Mar 25 '16 at 19:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.