This set is most likely 30 years old. (We also have the matching tub set.) I'd like to replace all of the faucet innards or replace the entire set. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

see picture please side view cartridge [broken piece from inside full assembly[4] full assembly


1 Answer 1


I'll ante up with American Standard. Remove the top stem(s) under the handle(s), take it to the store & match up a replacement. Keep the old stem(s) until you're good & sure everything's proper.

  • Let us continue this discussion in chat.
    – mts
    Mar 20, 2016 at 15:02
  • It seems to be working although that Y piece did cause me some problems. If I don't screw in the cartridge very tight so that it pushes down on the Y piece the tap does not full shut off. So I am convinced that I should change the whole cartridge assembly if American Standard can supply a replacement. I'm planning on calling them in the morning. Once again, thanks very, very much for your help and encouragement.
    – mts
    Mar 20, 2016 at 21:51
  • Sounds good from 1-side. But, we now know that the faucet is & has been broken internally. Given that their 3885 so closely matches what you have, I'd opt for a whole new faucet. You can try a dry-fit & see if you can just re-use the old handles & escutcheons. Just an idea.
    – Iggy
    Mar 20, 2016 at 22:10
  • My thoughts exactly. My intention is to use the old escutcheons and handles. We'll see.
    – mts
    Mar 21, 2016 at 2:57
  • Well, the plot thickens, unfortunately. I just called American Standard, sent them a picture and they tell me it is not their faucet! Any ideas on how to identify it?
    – mts
    Mar 21, 2016 at 14:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.