I have a drilling machine bought in England which I want to use in Japan. I believe I will need some kind of inverter. Suggestions for the cheapest way to do this?

  • Are you sure you mean "100V"? – Daniel Griscom Mar 18 '16 at 11:50
  • 1
    Japan has 2 pin 100V similar to 2 wire outlets of old in the U.S. depending where you are the frequency is 50Hz eastern / northern, 60Hz southern and both in some areas. – Ed Beal Mar 18 '16 at 14:03
  • Would it be possible to do 100V the way you would do 220V in the US? For 110V, we have a hot and neutral. For 220v, we use 2 hots on opposite phases. I do not know if 200V will be sufficient for your tool. Is there a transformer in the drill that could be replaced? These would be more permanent solutions, not sure how permanent your solution needs to be. – rpmerf Mar 18 '16 at 14:40
  • @rpmperf: 200V is outside the normal +10%/-6% tolerance for UK "230V" appliances = 216 - 253 VAC. – RedGrittyBrick Mar 18 '16 at 17:22

Most motors will run on 50 & 60 Hz so you need a step up transformer to run a 230v tool on 100. Here is step up/down. You will need one large enough to handle the wattage of your drilling machine. When I searched step up transformer there were some as high as 2000W. These get more expensive as the wattage increases. If you go with a step up transformer make sure to get a larger one than you need by at least 10% and 20-30% if you will be using it for long periods of time as they get hot when over loaded.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    I read it backwards will adjust my answer. – Ed Beal Mar 18 '16 at 13:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.