I'm trying to replace my light switch with a new one. The switch has two switches on it. The replacement switch I bought has two switches but is slightly different than the old one. This as far as I can work out is because the bottom switch is a two way switch. Will I be able to use this new switch?

Old Switch

New Switch

  • You can use a 3 way switch for a 2 way. Are you sure it is a 2 way I see 3 sets of wires on each switch. Over here in the US many times I find a white wire used as a traveler for a 3 way and not marked. – Ed Beal Mar 15 '16 at 13:09
  • You need to turn your screwdriver upside down. – jqning Apr 20 '16 at 1:58

Yes; just wire it up as it is now. The terminals should be labeled the same.

Note that US/Canada and the rest of the world have different definitions for 2/3 way - in Aus, 'two way' means a light that is controlled by two switches, while in the US, that would be called 'three way', because each switch has three connections.

  • 1
    The UK also uses the same terms as Aussies - two-way switches normally means two switches controlling one light. In electrical engineering terms, we call a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch a "two-way" switch. – RedGrittyBrick Apr 19 '16 at 9:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.