I trying to move a switch, which is currently in a 2-gang box. The 2-gang box will need to stay in place (and covered with a plate) as it is also the junction of some other stuff (currently power comes into the box, and feeds the switched light, and 2 branches of outlets). With new codes, I need to have a grounded neutral in the relocated switch. My plan is to do the following:

Relocated switch

Note, I have excluded all the other stuff that is in the existing 2-gang box. My question is- what do I do with the neutral in the 1-gang switch box? My existing toggle switches do not have a connection for a neutral (they are not "smart" switches). Do I just cap the neutral line in the single-gang box? Are there new toggle switches that accept a neutral?

1 Answer 1


Simply cap it with a twist-on wire connector, or other approved method.

  • Thanks Tester. That is what I figured, but wanted to make sure I am all ready for inspection.
    – MarkD
    Mar 6, 2016 at 22:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.