100-year-old stairs pulling away from wall. And there is a little give.


Call the installer, builder or manufacturer for any warranty type of repair...I'm kidding. Your best bet is to get a Carpenter or Stair Builder that uses glues, screws & bolts behind or even upon the finished surfaces...finish screws are wonderful.

Nails, spikes & staples are the norm & they can't & won't last, they're held by friction alone. Glue Coated nails are only good for a decade at the most, glue only lasts if its hold can't flex or break loose. A stair is a moving part, if given the chance, & will only continue to loosen until another object retains it.

  • Thx so much. I have to clear the bottom of the stairwell. ( plaster lathe- ugh) just to get a look--- one stair builder ( who didn't even look at the bottom exposed) was like I yea we will probsbly have to build a whole new staircase – Ken Mar 5 '16 at 21:32
  • Says I don't have edit privileges thus can't post pictures. If you have email I could shoot 2 poctures – Ken Mar 5 '16 at 21:39
  • They are 100 year old stairs. Not year old – Ken Mar 5 '16 at 21:42
  • Nope, I don't need pictures & you don't need that stair builder. The side of the stair should just be baseboard & shouldn't have anything to do with stair attachment. But, you might have broken plaster holding the baseboard out. The underside of the stair is where lag bolts would go in, under the treads & not in the bottom on the stair stringer. Loose handrails might be fixed on the underside of them with a wrench, if there's a hole or plug at each end. This hole, but typically plug, would also apply to the newel posts. But, you may have none of those & it'll have to be a screw job. – Iggy Mar 5 '16 at 21:55
  • Thx iggy. I'm still going to have to expose the bottom by removing the plaster and wire etc. The stairs are just attached on one side. If you are walking up the stairs ( there are 19 with curvature at the last 4) and look a few stairs 1/2 way up say stairs 7-11 look like they are kinda of sliding left yo right out of the groove that is attached to wall – Ken Mar 5 '16 at 22:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.