I am going to replace some regular fluorescent tubes that are about to burn out with LED ones and would like to add a sticker inside the fixture to advise a future owner to not install regular fluorescent tubes, but I can't seem to think of a concise verbiage for said sticker. I don't know:
"Fixture not wired for regular fluorescent use"
"Do not install regular fluorescent tubes"

Any suggestions?

Edit: How 'bout this: "Use with standard fluorescent tube requires rewiring; consult a licensed electrician"

1 Answer 1


Don't say what shouldn't be in there, say what should. "Direct-wire LED tubes only"

I put the sticker directly behind (above) the tube so it hides the sticker. I would place it near the lampholder which has the 120V on it, if that's a factor.

Then on the endcap of the fixture, at the power cord end, "Ballast removed. Direct wired for LED."

If the fixture doesn't have a power plug (or if it's annoyingly inaccessible), my practice is to install an internal disconnect inside the fixture (scroll down and look for the orange connector) which can be had cheaply here. It's not required for direct-wire LEDs (and several other exceptions) but it's a good thing to do, and the connectors are only a buck.

  • 2
    I like the "ballast removed direct wired for LED". I would point out though that a regular flourescent tube won't work anyway and no damage would result. Without a ballast the tubes would just glow on the ends possibly but would not light up. Labeling is a good idea for retrofitted fixtures though.
    – ArchonOSX
    Mar 6, 2016 at 11:56
  • My mind was stuck in what not to do instead of what to do. Thanks!
    – BillDOe
    Mar 6, 2016 at 20:59
  • Hey, I wonder if I could get a DPDT switch and wire the fixture to make it switchable?
    – BillDOe
    Mar 12, 2016 at 6:09
  • @BillOer Sure, an SPST switch will suffice, switch the 120V hot. I've seen pull cords used on fluorescents, have to drill a hole for that. Since your bulbs are all 120V now, you could use a 3-way pull cord for high/low. If your fixture has 1/2" knockouts, a motion sensor fits in one. Mar 12, 2016 at 7:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.