I've found a property I want to buy, renovate and put a side extension on. The side I want to extend currently has utility boxes on the external wall eg gas meter and I think also the gas pipe entry to the house might be there. What do I need to consider during extension? Can I just build a cupboard around the panels so they aren't an eyesore in the room or do they need to remain accessible from outside the house? Thanks :)

  • A gas meter has a pressure regulator which must be outside for intake air and the possibility of a rupture.
    – TFK
    Mar 4, 2016 at 12:51

1 Answer 1



The gas meter will have to be relocated.

The gas company may handle the plumbing up to the meter, but you'll be responsible for extending the indoor plumbing to the new location. The gas may be off for a few days, while the relocation is completed, pressure tested, and inspected.


Depending on the supplier and local requirements, the water meter may not have to be relocated. You'll have to ask your specific utility.


The electric meter will also likely have to be relocated.

As with the gas, the utility may handle the service conductors, but you'll be responsible for anything after the meter.

  • Seems like water meter and electric would always have to be outside so they could be read/disconnected without needing access to the home/building.
    – JPhi1618
    Mar 4, 2016 at 13:49
  • @JPhi1618 You're right about electric (I was thinking service panel, instead of meter, first some reason). In colder climates, water meters are installed indoors, where it's warm.
    – Tester101
    Mar 4, 2016 at 13:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.