I'm running a water line for a refrigerator ice maker. Currently it seems like the cleanest way to do this will be to tap into a cold water line in the crawlspace under where the fridge goes and come up through the floor behind the fridge.

I'd like to find a fitting to anchor the pipe where it comes through the floor. Is there such a thing as a solder floor flange, or another way of doing this with common (e.g., available at Home Depot or the like) parts?

  • 2
    Normally a small faucet is added in the wall with a plastic box. On the quick jobs I just drill a hole for the copper 1/4" tube and leave a 18-24" coil so it doesn't get kinked at the floor
    – Ed Beal
    Feb 28, 2016 at 21:17
  • 2
    The coil mentioned by Ed is often essential to allow for a refrigerator to be pulled out from its alcove for servicing, cleaning or replacement.
    – Michael Karas
    Feb 29, 2016 at 1:25

1 Answer 1


This is an Drop Elbow (upside down for your use), most commonly used for wall penetrations...showerhead arms, tub faucets, washing machine supplies, etc. I don't know of any other types that you'd actually screw to the floor & haven't ever seen one.

Presuming your hole is tight to the wall or baseboard, you might be able to attach this to your wall or baseboard with either a direct connect flexible line or a single compression fitting. Anything more would likely get crushed by the fridge. But a screw in elbow fitting to convert to vertical may work for your situation. However, elevating the fridge's tube connection that's already set-out much may put it in threat of being crushed, so be careful & test it out gently.



Male solder-on or sweat-on. My preferred floor lock-in fitting. Threads are exposed for thread inspection, easy Teflon taping, more precise leak detection, female reducing adapters are more common & flexible lines come with direct attachment ends.


Female solder-on or sweat-on. Nothing really wrong with this. I just don't find much of a selection to accommodate it in the big stores.


All three would be first soldered onto the pipe you drop in the floor. It's ill-advised to feed a pipe up & then later solder on a fitting that's close to a wall, especially when so easily avoidable.

Your pipe or elbow beneath the floor would prevent or limit vertical movement & a hole drilled for the pipe diameter instead of for the fitting's shoulder would raise the fitting for easier future flexible line replacements & stop downward movement to avoid stressing of the piping beneath the floor.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.