Is there any chemical to remove excess solvent that is partly blocking water flow in 3/4 inch PVC pipe ? (the exact location of the restriction/restrictions is not known)

  • "Solvent"? What does that mean, exactly? Did you mean pipe cement? – isherwood Feb 28 '16 at 17:31
  • I cannot think of a way that pipe cement could be blocking a pipe. Is it a very small diameter pipe? Was pipe cement poured into an elbow fitting? – Yehuda_NYC Feb 29 '16 at 15:07

"Shoving " anything solid into a PVC pipe is an almost sure way of breaking it. I have come across a few cases similar and usually found the most economical way is to cut out the area that is blocked and replace with new PVC or PEX. I would recommend this even if it means replacing some wallboard.


No, there is not.

Any chemical that would to that would also dissolve the pipe. Cut back until you find/remove the restriction and then replumb it properly.

  • If pipe is straight, you can sometimes shove a long rod or flexible thing down there to crack out the blockage. Depends on your setup. – Wayfaring Stranger Feb 28 '16 at 16:50
  • But you'd need to know where it was partly plugged for that. – Ecnerwal Feb 28 '16 at 16:52
  • A hand auger will usually knock the glue film out. Usually the blockage is quite thin for the problems it causes. – Ed Beal Feb 28 '16 at 17:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.