I have an old toe touch bathtub drain stopper that is stuck in the closed position and doesn't stop the water escaping either. I want to remove the stopper.

I removed the cap the cap by pulling on it and expected to see a slot for a flathead on the rod the cap fits on. But mine doesn't have one, what you see in the photo is a bump.

I tried twisting and pulling the rod hard with channel locks but it didn't move.

The cap says "RAPIDFIT" on the bottom of it. Here's the patent info found from the number on the cap.

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


The Rapid Fit threads in, as do almost all "toe touch" tub stoppers.

Yours is broken, that's why you only see the upper part of the threaded stem. Soak with penetrating oil and unscrew. Replacements can be found at a good local plumbing shop, or online.

enter image description here


I think you have to remove the whole fitting.

enter image description here

Notice that frequently bought together with toe touch drain stoppers is a Tub Drain Extractor:

enter image description here


  • So you think the drain and stopper are one piece?
    – user193661
    Feb 24, 2016 at 5:58
  • 2
    @user193661 - I've never had to deal with one. I'm assuming it is. If you want to put a new one in, like the one pictured, I'd think you'd have to, considering someone would have to identify yours for you to even know what parts to get. Which is not out of the question, so you might want to wait for more advice.
    – Mazura
    Feb 24, 2016 at 6:03
  • 1
    Speak of the devil, everyone upvote @Jimmy's answer, who knows enough about these things to say yours is broken.
    – Mazura
    Feb 24, 2016 at 12:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.