I may have a renter moving into a condo in a couple of weeks. I already ordered a full window replacement for the bedroom. Since a pane of glass (3' x 4') is missing, I'm thinking to put on a plastic or glass like material just for a couple of weeks instead of wasting $150 for a real pane of glass and throw it away after two weeks. Of course this will happen with the tenant's consent.

Is there material like that? Where can I buy it?

2 Answers 2


The most common temporary fix I see is a piece of plywood. This is one of the cheapest, but is not the most aesthetic solution.

If you go to a company that sells glass and mirror you will find much better prices opposed to something that you would purchase at a hardware store or online.

Glass is much cheaper than plastic. You can go with a piece of DS (double strength 1/8") glass as a temporary solution as long as it is not in a location that is required to be safety glass according to building code.

  • 2
    You are right, I talked to a glass shop and they offered, if I take the window frame to their shop, they would put a pane of glass on it for $25, labor included.
    – grokus
    Commented Sep 10, 2011 at 1:22

You can buy big sheets of plexi at big-box hardware stores, or online cut to size. A simple websearch for "plexiglass sheet" turned up a large number of wholesalers.

However, the cost may surprise you; a 36" x 48" x 1/4" sheet was $100 at the random place I checked.

Still, afterward you'll have a huge piece of very durable plexiglass that you could use for something else.

  • 6
    Along those lines...If the window isn't larger than a poster, you can get a $10 poster frame from Target and use the plastic that's in that.
    – DA01
    Commented Aug 22, 2011 at 21:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.