I'm trying to remove a bathtub diverter spigot, but I can't tell whether it is a screw-on or a slip-on (with a hex bolt at the bottom). My spigot has the notch where a hex bolt would normally be, but when I look inside the notch, I can't see anything but a metal plate, a plastic tab, and some white silicone. Does this mean that I have a screw-on or do I have to remove something to get to the hex bolt inside the notch? I can turn the spigot some with my hand, but I think the silicone is resisting the torque. I don't want to just start wrenching away without some better information.

Any idea on how to remove this type of spigot? Thanks!


  • Is there a cap screw in the outlet end? – Ed Beal Feb 18 '16 at 23:17

you have to slide the white plastic tab towards the mouth of the spigot. its essentially like a quick fit pneumatic fitting. its a spring loaded compression fitting. sliding the plastic tab forward against the spring pressure releases the seal and lets you slide the spigot off of the wallpipe. you can twist a little to make it easier and lubricate with dishsoap to get it to move.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks for the answer. I'm going to give it a try and report back. – user3111891 Feb 19 '16 at 18:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.