I have an 10 year old LG refrigerator (model LRFD25850ST). The white polyethylene waterline running from the refrigerator water pump up the back of the refrigerator is leaking about half-way up. It feeds both the ice maker and in-door water dispenser, but it runs through the foam insulation first, so a complete replacement is not practical at this time.

I would like to see if I can repair or splice it.

enter image description here

That writing on the tube reads:

DMT PE TUBE 0.D5/16"XI.DO.216" 70F 170P= NSF-51 & NSF-61 04EH10 05-1

What is the best way to repair this waterline?

  • Possible duplicate: How to install a new pvc line on a fridge to an existing small plastic line?. If yours is leaking in a non-accessible area somewhere inside the fridge then it's not one but this shows the parts you might need.
    – Mazura
    Feb 15, 2016 at 23:02
  • 2
    The writing on the tube says that the material is polyethylene (PE) with an outside diameter of 5/16" (O.D5/16), and an inside diameter of 0.216" (I.D0.216"). It is rated for up to 170PSI (170P=) at 70°F (70F). It meets the requirements for plastic used with food (NSF-51) as well as drinking water (NSF-61). I believe that DMT is the manufacture.
    – pdd
    Feb 15, 2016 at 23:34
  • Is this tube part that came with the fridge or is it the water line that connects the fridge to your domestic water? I ask because the 5/16 seems like an odd size. Have you looked at this: appliancepartspros.com/lg-tube-pe-5210ja3004k-ap4445606.html
    – pdd
    Feb 15, 2016 at 23:46
  • 1
    5/16" OD compression coupling- any decent plumbing shop. 1/4" is the "standard" for the house supply, but this sounds like an OEM tube that is "part" of the refrigerator; ("... it runs through the foam insulation first..."), so not uncommon. Feb 16, 2016 at 2:50

4 Answers 4


You need a plastic quick coupling. Go to a professional plumbing supplier and buy a 5/16 x 5/16 Parker fitting. These are similar to Sharkbite fittings, but plastic and about half the size of the smallest Sharkbite. They come in 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 7/16. A number of companies such as Celcon and John Guest make them, but Parker invented them so like Hoover for a vacuum, they are called 'Parkers'. Simply cut your pipe right at the leak with a very sharp craft knife then fit each end into the straight fitting.

  • Beautiful. I bought a Watts "Quick-Connect coupling" for refrigerator, 5/16 OD, cut the existing line just above and below the crack, pushed the two ends into the coupler, and gave it a little tug to seat it. Voila; instant repair. Total time: 2 minutes. Feb 28, 2016 at 23:03

A trip to the local hardware or home center should provide you with the tubing and fittings you need. If you shut off the valve you can cut out a section to bring with you. You'll need a couple of fittings to connect the new to the old. Bear in mind I would consider this a temporary repair. What ever caused the section to fail be it age or vibration likely effected all the tubing so total replacement is what I would recommend.

  • The tube label says that the outside dimension is 5/16 which seems like an odd size. Most hardware centres would carry 1/4 or 3/8 outside dimension fittings, not sure how available 5/16 fittings will be.
    – pdd
    Feb 15, 2016 at 23:42
  • @pdd - The hard part might be finding 5/16" with the sleeve inserts you need for plastic so that it doesn't squish. 5/16" is usually metallic automotive brake line which doesn't need them.
    – Mazura
    Feb 18, 2016 at 1:47
  • @Mazura - Completely agree. I think this portion of tube is part of the fridge. I've asked this in the question comments as well as provided a link to what might be the replacement tube part.
    – pdd
    Feb 18, 2016 at 2:31

The tube comes in through the fridge into the filter system pull the filter and one screw and the hole tube can be removed.


I know this is an older link but I've had the same situation with my lg refrigerator. it is a line that comes from the solenoid up the back of the fridge into the filter you might as will just replace the whole thing is I have splice mine a few times and it is continually sprung a leak and other places. I think it is ridiculous that LG put a line in the back of the refrigerator that is rated for 70°F . It's not a hard fix

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.