There is a small section of my back yard that is adjacent to my house and slopes towards it. The yard itself is predominately graded away from the house, so I just need to raise the grade in this section to ensure that water does not run towards my house when it rains.

I plan to cover the area with peastone as finish(currently just dirt), but what type of fill should I use under the peastone to actually raise the grade. Should I use clay, or something else that doesn't drain, or is topsoil sufficient?

1 Answer 1


Topsoil is sufficient. After all, that's what is under it. ;) And I would suggest using bull rock instead of peastone; I've found that the peastone is difficult to a) walk on, b) keep clear of leaves and other debris.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.