About 15mo ago, I bought a house with a non-functional water softener. The old unit was installed in 1993 so i figured it was simply at the end of its life and time to be replaced. I finally got around to doing that today. However, after running the new unit through the initial cleaning regen cycle indicated in the manual, the water from the tap still tests at roughly 50 grains which is the same as before installation and the same as untreated water from a tap before the softener in the plumbing loop.
It is a Morton MH34 (34k grain). During initial configuration, only settings I changed from default were the regen time (from 2AM to 3AM), and the hardness (up to 50 grains from whatever the default was). I also set the local time of course.
The initial regen used about 20 lbs of salt judging by the level drop in the tank.
I have walked through the manual regen verification in the manual which steps through each step and verifying using visual clues that it is functioning and all appears to function correctly.
I have taken apart the venturi component and verified no blockage there.
Everything about the unit seems to be working but it simply isn't producing results which, ironically, is exactly the symptoms the original unit exhibited.