As best I can tell, it's a 5" diameter, open-coat, all-metal (steel? tin?) arbor-mounted sanding disc.

It's the only thing that will remove tar from brick on my house, and I really need to purchase more. No idea where this one came from.




That looks exactly like a Porter Cable paint remover disk, at a glance. 24, 36 or 48 grit, $20 bucks or so.


The tool it's made for: the Porter-cable 7403 abrasive paint remover. There probably is a backing pad that supports the disc.

7403 paint remover

Here's the pad: Backing pad

Not affiliated, don't own one, do own some other Porter-Cable tools, happened to notice these discs when looking for some sanding supplies once.

| improve this answer | |
  • Seems like a match. So do the tabs in the arbor hole get pinched by the mounting bolt to retain the cover? – isherwood Feb 15 '16 at 3:13
  • I think the "tabs" are only tabs from lots of wear and tear - the surface on the "new" picture is a smooth cone, and that is clamped by a cone-washer. Could be it's merely similar, as I guess this is a 6" disk and the question does say 5"... – Ecnerwal Feb 15 '16 at 3:21
  • Thanks guys. Looks like a tungsten carbide disc is what I'm looking for. Mine is a 5" that looks like a thinner version of the Porter Cable. It was on a rubber backing plater for a drill. – Matthew Cook Feb 15 '16 at 3:29

That looks like a wrapper for something that had a solid inner component. You can probably find something with a more solid backing plate, like this one (example only), with tungsten or diamond granules.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.