This is a question inspired by the term as used at http://www.quora.com/Why-does-urine-have-a-tendency-to-collect-at-the-base-of-the-toilet and at http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Toilet

I basically want to know what to call the part of the toilet that's under the bowl (but still to the side of it)

enter image description here

  • A picture might help.
    – Tester101
    Aug 20, 2011 at 15:50
  • Okay I just added one (circled) Aug 20, 2011 at 17:16

1 Answer 1


The part under the seat is called the BOWL the space where water and other stuff goes down the drain is called the FLUSH PASSAGE

Now i doubt there is a technical name further than that and In the building trade we always set a toilet on the Bowls Base, so the top will be the Bowl Head( which in your case is what you are referring to as the "Lip") and on the head you mount the Seat.


What you have circled is called the toiled mounting. The screw you use is called a mounting screw and the mounting screw holds the Toiled base via the toilet mounting to a floor flange.Sometimes in between the base and the flange you can have a leak pan connected to another waste pipe.

If you have any more doubts.. please research this interesting document.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.