I am replacing an in-wall oven with a oven/stove. The wiring in the wall is a 2 wire #6, and a ground wire. One of the wires has red arrows on it, the other solid black. (obviously 220V) and I traced them to the breaker box. Both the solid black and the black with red arrow both go into a 50 amp double breaker, and the ground wire goes to the grounding bar.

My stove has a three prong plug: red, black white and ground. With only two hot wires and no neutral coming from the wall, how do I wire the 2 hot and neutral?

  • Are you installing a range (free standing oven/stove), or a built-in oven/stove unit? Is the ground wire bare or insulated? What size is the ground wire? Is the cable feeding the device type SE cable?
    – Tester101
    Commented Feb 6, 2016 at 16:57
  • configure the bonding jumper appropriately. Commented Sep 11, 2023 at 17:26

1 Answer 1


You need to swap the cord on your range for a 3-pin range cord (NEMA 10-50) and configure the bonding jumper appropriately, then install a NEMA 10-50 receptacle for your stove. (This is allowed for existing branch circuits, just not new ones.)

  • Doesn't he need a neutral from the panel? Doesn't some portion of the new range need 110?
    – bib
    Commented Feb 6, 2016 at 15:23
  • @bib -- the NEMA 10 uses a combined neutral/ground conductor (blame the 50's, when 10/3 and bigger NM wasn't a thing so you had to wire up the range outlet with type SE cable instead, which lacks a separate ground) Commented Feb 6, 2016 at 16:16
  • The neutral is not used in this case. For a retrofit that's fine.
    – Bryce
    Commented Jan 2, 2022 at 4:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.